Manuscript Portfolio Locations List
The portfolios which comprise Fifty Original Leaves from Medieval Manuscripts are numbered from 1 to 40, recorded on a small label pasted inside the front of each portfolio box. In addition, there are at least two unnumbered sets: one is owned by the descendants of Otto and Louise Ege, and the other was donated to Smith College by alumna Louise Ege (see below).
Whereabouts unknown as of Spring 2008: Nos. 1, 3, 7, 10, 14, 18, 20, 21, 26, 31, and 40.
2. The Ohio State University. Special Collections, Main Library, 1858 Neil Avenue Mall, Columbus, Ohio 43210. Shelfmark MS. LAT. 7.
4. The Cleveland Institute of Art. Gund Library, 11141 East Boulevard, Cleveland, Ohio 44106. Shelfmark ND2920 .E33.
5. Ohio University. Robert E. and Jean R. Mahn Center for Archives and Special Collections, Vernon R. Alden Library, Park Place, Athens, Ohio 45701. Shelfmark ND2920 .E35 1950x.
6. The University of Massachusetts, Amherst. Special Collections & University Archives, W. E. B. Du Bois Library, 154 Hicks Way, Amherst, Massachusetts 01003.
8. The New York State Library, Albany. Manuscripts and Special Collections, New York State Library, Cultural Education Center, Empire State Plaza, Albany, New York 12230. Catalog number 091 xE29m.
9. The Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County. 800 Vine Street, Cincinnati, Ohio 45202. Accessed on April 26, 1956; purchased for $750.
11. The Buffalo and Erie County Public Library. Grosvenor Room, Central Library, 1 Lafayette Square, Buffalo, NY 14203. Shelfmark RBR MSS. F54 1100. Presented to the Rare Book Room in 1964 by Mr. and Mrs. Franz T. Stone, during the dedication of the new Central Library Building.
12. The Toledo Museum of Art. 2445 Monroe Street, Toledo, Ohio 43697.
13. The University of Minnesota. Special Collections and Rare Books, University of Minnesota, Twin Cities Campus, 466 Wilson Library, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55455. Accessed on or about 4 September 1953.
15. Kent State University. Special Collections and Archives, Main Library, Room 1212, Kent, Ohio 44242.
16. The Art Gallery of Ontario. 317 Dundas Street West, Toronto, Ontario M5T 1G4.
17. Massey College, The University of Toronto. Robertson Davies Library, 4 Devonshire Place, Toronto, Ontario M5S 2E1.
19. Stony Brook University. Frank Melville Jr. Memorial Library, Stony Brook, New York 11794. Shelfmark Z109 .E4.
22. The Cleveland Public Library. Fine Arts and Special Collections, Main Library 3rd Floor, 325 Superior Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio, 44114. Purchased by the Friends of the Cleveland Public Library in 1965.
23. Kenyon College. Special Collections and Archives, Olin Library, 103 College Drive, Gambier Ohio 43022. Shelfmark Z113 .F5.
24. Indiana University, Bloomington. The Lilly Library, 1200 East Seventh Street, Bloomington, Indiana, 47405. Shelfmark Z118 .A3 E28. Purchased from Mrs. Ege in 1956.
25. The University of Saskatchewan. Special Collections, 301 Main Library, 3 Campus Drive, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan S7N 5A4. Purchased in 1957 through a donation of $750 from the local Walter Murray Chapter of the Imperial Order of the Daughters of the Empire. An exhibit of much of this portfolio's contents is available online here.
27. The University of South Carolina. Special Collections and Rare Books, Thomas Cooper Library, Mezzanine Level, Columbia, South Carolina 29208. Acquired before 1965. This portfolio's contents are available online here.
28. The Pierpont Morgan Library. 29 East 36th Street, New York, New York 10016. Shelfmark MS M.1021. It was a Gift of Mr. Paul Mellon, 1979.
29. The Lima Public Library. 650 West Market Street, Lima, Ohio 45801. Accessed in 1960; purchased with funds from the Lufkin Trust.
30. Denison University. Special Collections, William Howard Doane Library, Granville, Ohio 43023. Shelfmark Z113 .F5. Purchased in 1956 from Louise Ege for $750 by Denison alumnus Percy Wiltsee (Class of 1901). This portfolio's contents are available online here.
32. The University of Colorado, Boulder. Norlin Library, Room N345, 1720 Pleasant Street, Boulder, Colorado 80309 Shelfmark ND2950 E38 1900. Gift of Diane and Robert Greenlee in honor of Professor Amy Vandersall. Five leaves (numbers 25, 30, 47, 48, and 50) were not present when the collection was acquired. More information is available online here.
33. Private owner. Sold by Christie’s, 25 June, 1997, lot 16. Now for sale in Philip Pirages catalog #55 for $45,000.
34. The Newark Public Library. Special Collections Division, The Newark Public Library, 5 Washington Street, Newark, New Jersey 07101.
35. The Rochester Institute of Technology. Cary Graphic Arts Collection, 90 Lomb Memorial Drive, Rochester, New York 14623. Donated to the Cary Collection in the early 1980s by the family of Pennsyvania collector James Rudisill. This portfolio is available online here.
36. The Ontario College of Art and Design. The Dorothy H. Hoover Library, 113 McCaul Street, Toronto, Ontario M5T 1W1. Shelfmark ND2920 E44 R.B.C. Presented to OCA by the Buntin Reid Paper Co., June 23, 1955.
37. Case Western Reserve University. Special Collections, Kelvin Smith Library, 11055 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio 44106. Purchased in September 1963 with money from two funds: $550 from the President Thwing Library Fund and $300 from the Allen Dudley Severance Library Fund.
38. The University of North Carolina, Greensboro. Special Collections, Jackson Library, College Avenue, P.O. Box 26175, Greensboro, North Carolina 27402. Gift of the Alumni Association Annual Giving Fund, 1963-64.
39. Private owner. Sold by Christie’s, 30 January, 1980, lot 212.
(Unnumbered). Smith College. Mortimer Rare Book Room, Neilson Library, Smith College, Northampton, Massachusetts 01063. Gift on April 30, 1956, from Louise Lange Ege, Smith College Class of 1917, in honor of the fifth anniversary of the death of her husband and as her 40th reunion gift to Smith College.